Unlocking Motivation with Dr. Lisa Lewis
Motivation, by definition, is the reason (or reasons) one has for acting or behaving in a particular way or the general desire or willingness of someone to do something. It refers to the internal or external factors that drive a person’s behavior towards achieving a goal.
There are two motivation types:
Intrinsic motivation involves engaging in an activity because it is inherently rewarding or enjoyable without relying on external rewards or recognition.
Extrinsic motivation involves engaging in an activity to earn external rewards, such as praise, money, grades, or other tangible benefits.
Motivation can be a powerful force but can also be inconsistent. For example, when life becomes hectic, or setbacks occur, your initial motivation can diminish.
So, how do you continue making progress and positive change if your motivation wanes? We tapped into the knowledge of behavior change expert Dr. Lisa Lewis to help us better understand the different types of motivation and the psychology behind the behavior change stages.
Dr. Lisa is a licensed psychologist and a certified addiction counselor passionate about helping clients build strength and evolve personally, professionally, and athletically. She sat down with Stronger U Registered Dietitians Gianna Masi, RDN, CISSN, and Dr. Jessica Bachman, PhD, RD, to discuss the qualities of motivation and how a coach can help you identify what is driving your desire to change.
Tune into this Stronger U Radio episode to learn more about:
- The power of emotional intelligence.
- The importance of other aspects of health as it relates to body composition and training goals.
- The time investment for sustainable results.
- How using reflection when answering questions can strengthen your coach’s ability to support you better.
- The benefit of working with a human coach versus a bot or generalized app to address nuances and struggles.
- Identifying strengths and leveraging them for behavior change.
- The positive impacts of exercise on your brain.
This discussion brings tools and tips for coaches and members from three qualified industry experts. Listen here.