Celebrate National Pizza Day with this high-protein recipe.
Pizza is never off the table with a lower-carb, high protein recipe for chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, baked to cheesy perfection in a rich tomato sauce. Serve with a side salad for a family-friendly, comfort food dinner that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters!
Pizza Stuffed Chicken
4 medium (120g) skinless, boneless chicken breast
16 (65g) slices pepperoni
1 cup (113g)skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tbsp (13g) olive oil
2 tsp italian seasoning
2 cups (520g) marinara sauce
1 cup (40g) basil, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/204°C.
2. Cut a small, horizontal “pocket” into the thick part of each chicken breast using a small knife, being careful not to cut all the way through.
3. Stuff each chicken breast with 4 slices of pepperoni and 2 tbsp cheese.
4. Use 2-3 toothpicks to seal the pocket of each chicken breast.
5. Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle it with Italian seasoning, cooking for 4-5 minutes per side.
6. Add the marinara to the pan, and place in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
7. Return to the oven until the cheese has melted.
8. Top with basil.
Looking for more recipes and macro-friendly food inspiration? Become a Stronger U member and join our members-only community!