The first sign of fall is not the turning and falling of yellowing and orange leaves. It’s not the sun setting early. No, if you’ve been around for awhile, you’ll know the first sign of fall is the release of all pumpkin flavored things at our favorite restaurants, stores, and well, everywhere.
If you are trying to track your food, you know firsthand, how challenging it is to find a macro-friendly pumpkin food that you can enjoy in your plan. That’s why we’ve created an option for you! At just 5g of fat and 4g of protein, these muffins are guaranteed to become a fast favorite!
Serving Size: 1 muffin
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey or real maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup crushed walnuts or pecansDirectionsSWIRL
1. In a small bowl, whisk sugar and spices until fully combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare muffin tin by lining with paper liners and spraying with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, yogurt, egg, syrup or honey, oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet and mix until just combined.* Add nuts.
- Fill each muffin tin with 2 Tbsp batter then sprinkle 2 Tbsp cinnamon sugar mixture.Scoop another 2 Tbsp batter on top.
- Bake 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*Do not over mix muffin batter! This will cause the muffins to be tough and dry. You want to just mix it until ingredients are combined.
-Muffins will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days or freezer for 2 months.
-These are a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack! Just pair with vanilla Greek yogurt for extra protein.
MACROS (per muffin)
Calories – 173 Carbohydrates – 27g Fat – 5g
Protein – 4g
Fiber – 3g
Sugar – 15g
Sodium – 191mg
You can omit the cinnamon sugar swirl to cut back on calories, carbohydrates, and sugar!
MACROS (per muffin without cinnamon sugar swirl) Calories – 136
Carbohydrates – 18g
Fat – 5g
Protein – 4g Fiber – 3g
Sugar – 6g Sodium – 191mg