A hearty AND healthy chicken dish that combines your favorite, savory and cheesy soup with lean chicken! This one pan meal is the perfect dish to warm up during the winter and impress your family with something that tastes delicious! The secret to getting this on the table is a pinch of baking soda to help break down and caramelize the onions in record time! Dairy free? Substitute olive oil and vegan cheese for the butter and cheese for an equally delicious dish!
French Onion Baked Chicken
Total time: 1 hour
Active time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp (15g) butter
3 medium (330g) yellow onions, thinly sliced into half moons
1/8th tsp baking soda
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic. chopped
1 tbsp (8g) all-purpose flour, or gluten free flour if preferred
¼ cup (60ml) dry white wine
½ cup (120ml) beef broth, low sodium
4 small (420g) chicken breasts
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp garlic granules
1 cup (85g) low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tbsp (12g) parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp (7g) fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter and sliced onions. Season with salt, pepper, and baking soda.
- Let cook for 8-10 minutes or until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the thyme and garlic. Cook the onions for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/204°C.
- Deglaze the pan using the wine. Transfer ½ the onions to a plate. Spread remaining onions in an even layer in the pan.
- Add the chicken to the pan, top with dried thyme, granulated garlic, beef broth, and remaining onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove, and top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, baking for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Top with parsley.