With the eastern United States covered in snow, you might be craving something warm and comforting to enjoy inside. Instead of packing your meal log with creamy soups that sacrifice your macros, try this protein-packed and easy-to-make Chicken Sausage and Kale Soup.
You can prepare this soup in the Instant Pot for a set-it-and-forget-it dinner or prepare it traditionally on the stove. Either way, you’ll be filled to the brim and warm from inside out with this ultra-comforting soup.
CHICKEN SAUSAGE & KALE SOUP (in Instant Pot)
Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 2 cups
- 1lb (485g) chicken or turkey sausage (sliced links or crumbles)
- 2 Tbsp (19g) olive oil
- 1 medium (178g) yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (20g)
- 3 large (240g) carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 stalks (122g) celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tsp (1g) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (1/2g) dried rosemary
- 1 tsp (1/2g) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 5 cups (1163g) chicken broth, regular or low-sodium
- 2-15oz cans (528g) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 Tbsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 9 cups fresh kale, chopped & stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1. Set pot to “Sauté” and wait ~1 minute to heat. Add sausage and brown (6-7 minutes).
2. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and seasonings and stir. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft and tender.
3. Add broth and beans. Lock lid and close pressure valve.
4. Set settings to “Pressure Cook” and timer to 3 minutes (these 3 minutes will start once pressure is reached, which takes ~15 minutes).
5. When done, press “Cancel” and release pressure from valve.
6. Once pressure is released, take lid off and stir in kale and parmesan cheese. 7. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve!
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can use regular pork sausage or even chicken breast.
To make on the stove:
- Brown sausage in large pot over medium high heat, then add oil, veggies, and seasonings. Sautee until soft and tender.
- Add broth and beans. Turn heat down to a simmer.
- Let cook for an hour and a half to two hours.
- Turn heat off and stir in kale and parmesan cheese. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
MACROS (per 2 cups)
Calories – 399 Carbohydrates – 29g Fat – 17g
Protein – 29g
Fiber – 10g
Sugar – 8g
Sodium – 1022mg