Looking for ways to pump up your protein and have an easy grab-and-go breakfast for the whole week? Look no further than this delicious, nutritious, and oh-so-easy to assemble egg casserole! With 18g of protein, 3g of carbohydrates, and 1g of fat per serving, this breakfast is sure to fill you up without sacrificing your macros.
Prepare this recipe on Sunday and enjoy it through the week or prepare it and bake it on Christmas morning for an easy breakfast that will set the tone of your day!
Yield: 12 servings Serving Size: 1 piece
- 1lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Tbsp (10g) olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (408g; any color), diced
- 1⁄2 cup (48g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 small (53g) yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups (68g) fresh spinach or kale
- 7 whole large eggs
- 2 cups (497g) egg whites (~12-14 egg whites)
- 1⁄4 cup (57g) low-fat plain kefir
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup (33g) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, plus 1⁄4 cup (23g) for toppingDirections
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 9×13” baking dish by spraying with nonstick spray.
- Brown sausage over medium heat in a large saucepan. Crumble in the pan as it cooks.
- Pour olive oil into pan and add pepper, mushrooms, and onion. Sautee 5-6 minutes untilveggies are tender.
- Add spinach and cook until soft, ~2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Add salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in kefir.
- Pour 1⁄2 of sausage and veggie mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese.
- Pour egg and kefir mixture on top of sausage, veggies, and cheese.
- Top with remaining sausage and veggies, then the remaining 1⁄4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until top and edges are golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.
- Store in air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. We don’t recommend freezing this recipe because of the eggs!
- This is a great meal prep recipe to enjoy throughout the week and also an easy way to get veggies at breakfast! Enjoy rolled up in a tortilla for a breakfast taco, between an English muffin as a sandwich, or with a bowl of fresh fruit!MACROS (per 1 piece)Calories – 140 Carbohydrates – 3g Fat – 1g
Protein – 18g
Fiber – 1g
Sugar – 1g
Sodium – 343mg