As the weather gets cooler, you might find yourself craving something warm, creamy, and comforting. As macro-trackers, you know that finding all of these things packed into a macro-friendly food can be a challenge! This protein-packed, low-fat pasta will check all of your boxes, will filling you up!
Enjoy with a nice green salad or a piece of crusty bread (if your plan allows it), you’ll find yourself reaching for this comforting fall recipe again and again!
Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 cup
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage (~6 leaves) or 1 Tbsp dried, plus garnish
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus garnish
- 1 cup silken tofu, cubed
- 16oz protein pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes: fresh sage, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, freshly cracked black pepperDirections
- Sauteé squash in olive oil in saucepan over medium heat until the squash is soft (use a fork to determine softness), about 15-20 minutes. Add garlic and shallot and cook until garlic is golden and shallot is translucent.
- Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor along with sage, nutmeg, chicken broth, cheese, and tofu. Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box. Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup of pasta water after cooking.
- Put cooked pasta back into pot and add sauce. Add 1⁄2 cup pasta water and stir ingredients together. Add 2 Tbsp of pasta water until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with desired toppings and enjoy!
- This recipe can be made vegan by omitting parmesan cheese and adding a sprinkle of nutritionalyeast and using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth!
- Pasta will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Sauce will freeze well on its own for up to 2 months; make pasta whenever you’re ready to eat the sauce!
MACROS (per 1 cup)
Calories – 390 Carbohydrates – 55g Fat – 12g
Protein – 23g
Fiber – 8g
Sugar – 4g
Sodium – 132mg